Friday, April 27, 2007
Potato Leek Apricot Couscous!!
250 g couscous
250 g bacon (rind removed, diced, separate the fats and flesh)
1 leek, sliced finely
4 potatos, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs light soy sauce
3 tbs water
1 tsp sesame oil
0.5 tsp black pepper
0.5 tsp parprika
dash of chilli powder (more if u like it spicy!)
1. Add 250ml of boiling water to couscous. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff up with fork and add more water if too dry.
2. microwave potato with 2 tbsp water for 10 minutes or til soft.
3. Add the fatty bits of the bacon into a pan. Turn on heat and allow the oils to melt before adding the not-so-fatty bits of the bacon. Fry til crispy and remove from pan.
4. Add leeks to pan and fry til soft. Add potato and fry for a couple minutes.
5. Turn off fire and mix in couscous and seasonings. Sprinkle with bacon bits.
Can be served hot or chilled.
comments: Potato, leek and bacon= very good friends!!! Why the addition of apricot?? Cos this will be served chilled, so i hope the slight crunch n tangy flavour of the dried fruit will add texture and contrast...if serving hot, omit the apricots..and the dish will taste more 'comforting', i guess...
hee..this is actually a random (read: what i can find in the kitchen) recipe that i came up with for tomorrow's visit to the pear orchard... :)