Wednesday, May 9, 2007
Spicy braised eggplant
recipe inspired from Umami's dish of the same name
1 onion, VERY thinly sliced
5 dried chillies (can add more or less according to personal perference)
500-600g eggplant, sliced into 2 inch strips
200g chicken mince (can use any other type of meat as well)
tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar (can adjust according to taste)
2 tbsp dark vinegar
2 tbsp corn starch w/ 4 tbs water
meat marinate: dash of sesame oil, white pepper, dash of light soy sauce, 1 tbsp corn starch
1. Marinate meat and leave for 20 minutes.
2. Add oil into pan. Wait til it's hot. Add onions. Fry til light brown.
3. Add chillies and fry til they are BLACK. There will be choking smoke, this is normal.
4. Add meat and stir fry for a while. Add eggplant and the rest of the seasoning.
5. Add 250ml of water and bring to boil.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes and add the corn starch mixture. Stir and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve with white rice and a sprinkling of scallions.
comments: the picture is not very appetising, i know... But my dinner club friends and Louisa can attest to the yumminess of this dish!! Really comforting and goes so well with rice...MmmmmMmmm...give it a go....u'll be surprised how good it is!!!