Was flipping through the recipebook that Linda gave me for Christmas last year and came across this recipe...
"Dead good carbonara'.
Ambitious name huh? (I mistakenly remembered the name as 'Drop dead carbonara' and told that to Dr Carole...haa....it's really rich so that could be an apt name too...)
Was it as good as promised? You bet!!!!
Very easy..very fast and excellent for impressing guests with minimum effort... :)
It should look creamier...this picture was taken the next day after reheating in the microwave...changed the texture of the sauce somewhat...
and the recipe... (note: definitely not an everyday dish)
Dead good carbonara
1 shallot, finely chopped (do not substitute for onions, shallots improve the flavor immensely)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 rashers bacon, chopped
150 ml cream
25 g parmesan, finely grated
1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Fry bacon in pan til light brown and crisp. (start with cold pan, the bacon will fry in its own fat.)
3. Add garlic and shallots and fry for another 3-5 mins til everything is golden.
4. Beat together the eggs, cream, most of the parmesan and plenty of black pepper. (note: this sauce does not heating up)
5. Add the shallot and egg mixture to the pasta and toss till evenly coated.
6. Divide into two portions and serve with the rest of the parmesan and a sprinkling of black pepper.
Dong Zi Kou Zhang Lao Er Liang Fen, Chengdu
17 hours ago