Friday, April 4, 2008

Cream Puffs with Pandan Custard


Reading food blogs really helps to expand my reportire of dishes...Cycling Chef recently shared his experience with Choux pastry...
and i always thot Choux (pronounced as 'Shoo') pastry were very tricky but decided to trust Cycling Chef...

who knew that cream puffs are so easy?!!!

I remember a friend asking me whether I knew how to make cream puffs 3 years ago...i did some research on the internet and gave her the recipe but didn't have the courage to make it myself...cos i always assumed they were somewhat hard to make...

wrong!!

Simple simple simple....

took less than half an hour and the ingredient list is short and straight forward too...

Baking in the oven..


Fresh... My puffs were stuck to the baking sheet...not enough grease..next time i will use baking paper and spray grease...


Filled them with some sort of a thai pandan custard..the custard tasted alrite..definitely on the sweet side but still acceptable...you can read more about the product here.
reckon these puffs will be great just with whipped cream..or ice cream..

The recipe I followed was from Taste.com.au and cos I didn't want to bother with a piping bag, i just scooped rounded teaspoons of the dough onto the baking sheet. No other modifications was made i think....some hints: cream puffs do tend to expand quite a big in volume so be sure to space them and also it's imperative to keep the oven door closed for the entire duration, otherwise the steam needed for inflating the puffs will escape. 

Yay!! Happiness is a fear conquered!! :)

2 comments:

culinaryprincess said...

they look soo good my dear!! i'm like the 'old' u too!!have a phobia to work with Choux pastry!!hmm maybe i should try making some cream puffs too!! i love them with cream :)

ioyces said...

culinary princess: :D I've just got a secret recipe for eclairs!! try that instead!!! Posting it soon! ;)