Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bargain Strawberries?



Rule number 1: It's not really a bargain if you are not going to use it. (Or if you have to spend 2 hours cleaning and processing it.)
Rule number 2: Don't buy more food than you can (comfortably) carry.

For the last week I have been feeling exceptionally virtuous...thinking that it might not be very long till the return to Singapore, I have been eating and cooking only foodstuffs in my freezer, fridge and pantry and resisting the urge to go to the supermarket/market...(it must be a dietitian's favourite passtime..)

Today I finally used all the fresh produce and most of the canned and dried food...so I decided to make a well deserved trip to the central market...keeping in mind that I was just going to need ingredients for 8 meals (cooking twice- each time 4 portions) and then I can shop more after that..

and I almost, almost made it!!!! I had bought all the ingredients I needed (and some) and was about to walk out of the market when I was accosted by one of the stall holders in the middle section where they put up make shift stalls to sell the produce which wouldn't keep till Tuesday...he thrust a huge black cupboard container of strawberries at me...there were eight 500g punnets inside...and said: "Here, you can have the lot for 5 bucks”
Me: "errrr...."
Stallholder throws in another punnet and said: "Special for u!! Still 5 dollars”

*sigh*

How could I resist??

So that's how I ended up lugging 4.5kg of strawberries home...when I got on the bus, the driver was very excited and asked me what I was going to do with all the strawberries and that strawberries were his favourite fruit...I replied: "They were on special....very special..."
When I disembarked, I gave the driver a punnet and he was so shocked that he stayed put at the bus stop for a good minute, causing quite a pile up in the traffic behind..(one of my favorite books when I was a kid was the 'random acts of kindness' series..)

And because of the strawberries...I had to buy more stuff to make things with them...the first thing which came to mind was jam..but I hardly ever eat jam...so cheesecake it was....got a chunk of cream cheese (by the way, you can get half a kilo of cream cheese for 4 bucks at central market..much cheaper than in the supermarkets..), biscuits and butter for the base..and cream just in case...

So silly!!! I ended spending more time and money on making something that i don't need and wouldn't really want to eat..but perhaps wouldn't mind making just for the fun of it...

so far i haven't made anything with it....maybe I can make Blue Lotus' strawberry liquor with the chinese rose wine that has been sitting around...and perhaps some chocolate dipped strawberries (Did you know that you can inject liquor into the strawberry after the chocolate's hardened?? This i've got to try!! but first need to find a syringe...) in addition to a strawberry cheesecake and some strawberry sauce...

By the way, have I mentioned that I am not an exceptionally big fan of strawberries in the first place??!!

Self control...that's what I really need..

No comments: