Monday, June 30, 2008
Thai Style Bak Choy
A new way to eat Bok Choy- with coconut milk, chili and lime!!
very interesting combination right???
6 spring onions
2 bundles of bak choy
2 tbsp oil
3 fresh chilies, cut into thin strips
4 garlic cloves
1 tbs crushed peanuts, toasted
for the dressing:
1 - 2 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs lime juice
3 tbs coconut milk (original recipe called for 1 cup but we found it excessive..so u might want to play around...)
1. To make the dressing, blend together the fish sauce and lime juice and then stir in the coconut milk
2. Cut the spring onions diagonally into slices
3. Call the bak choy into very thin shreds
4. heat th eoil in a wok and stir fry the chili for 2-3 minutes until crisp. Tranfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
5. Stir fry the garlic for 30-60 seconds until golden brown and transfer to the plate with the chilies.
6. Stir fry the white parts of the spring onion for about 2-3 minutes and then add the green parts and stir fry for a further 1 minutes. Add to the plate with the chilies and garlic.
7. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the bok choy, stir twice and then drain immediately.
8. Place the warmed bok choy in a large bow, add the coconut dressing and stir well. Spoon into a large serving bowl and sprinkle with the crushed peanuts and the stir-fried chili mixture. Serve either warm or cold.
recipe from 'The vegetable encyclopedia and cookbook' by Christine Ingram
comments: Such an unique dish!!!!! Will definitely try it again..we sort of muddled up the steps this time and didn't get the chili and garlic to crisp very well... all the different flavours seem to jostle for attention all at once but hey, it works!